Customer Rights And Obligations
- All new electricity connections must be done strictly based on metering before
connection. That is, no new customer should be connected by a DisCo without a
meter first being installed at the premises.
- All customers have a right to electricity supply in a safe and reliable
- All customers have a right to a properly installed and functional metre.
- All customers have a right to properly informed and educated on the
- All customers have a right to transparent electricity billing.
- All unmetered customers should be issued with electricity bills strictly based
on NERC’s estimated billing methodology.
- It is the customer’s right to be notified in writing ahead of disconnection of
electricity service by the DisCo serving the customer in line with NERC’s
- All customers have a right to refund when over billed.
- All customers have a right to file complaints and to the prompt investigation
- All complaints on electricity supply and other billing issues are to be sent to
the nearest business unit of the DisCo serving the customer.
- If a complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, customers have a right to
escalate the issue to the NERC Forum Office within the coverage area of the
- Customers have the right to appeal the decision of the NERC Forum Office by
writing a petition to the Commission.
- It is the customer’s right to contest any electricity bill.
- Any unmetered customer who is disputing his or her estimated bill has the right
not to pay the disputed bill, but pay only the last undisputed bill as the
bill go through the dispute resolution process of NERC.
- It is not the responsibility of electricity customer or community to buy,
replace or repair electricity transformers, poles and related equipment used in